image by sarah mccoy photo

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Spreading the Sugar Around

I know it’s Thanksgiving.  And this is a post about Christmas cookies.  But you’ll soon see why, and perhaps be thankful!

There’s this problem when you have tiny kids who must be taught sugar-limits, and a husband who prefers more steak for dessert.  And when at the same time, you can’t nix any of the traditional recipes from your cookie repertoire, and when you also really want to try new recipes.

Besides the massive workload involved, you just can’t eat them all while they’re fresh.

Last year, I tried making all kinds of dough in advance and freezing it to bake at the last minute.  But because an oven holds only so many trays, this had the effect of creating MORE days of baking chaos, some of stirring and mixing in November, and others of rotating trays and icing things in December.  And in the end, I still had way more than I could reasonably eat. 

Odds are, I eat more cookies than you on any/every given day of the year, so I speak with some authority as a consumer of sweets.  Here’s the authoritative new plan.  You can thank me later.

All those once-a-year recipes that you’d be so sad not to sample?  I started making those in October this year.  Not just the dough.  The cookies.  I make a batch every Monday.  One week we had snicker doodles.  The next it was Rugelach.  This week it’s jam thumbprints.  Next week, I think I’ll make snowballs.  This way we have time and stomach-space for thorough enjoyment.  And I always have something spectacular to dip in my coffee during naptime while I ignore the chores.

When Christmas comes, I’ll probably only make the sugar cutouts (can’t skip those with kids!), and then the standby favorites, toffee oatmeal and chocolate chip.  Everything else?  We’ll have enjoyed those oh, just the other week.

No comments:

Post a Comment