image by sarah mccoy photo

Friday, October 28, 2011

Over the Wall: Part 1 of 2

This is a really thoughtful interview with a gay Christian that I think any Christian could benefit from reading.  Here’s why.  He takes a controversial issue and coolly identifies a Side A and a Side B, both thoughtful theological positions on homosexuality and the Bible.  Ultimately and definitively, I disagree with the writer, Justin.  Even so, by approaching this issue with sincerity and engaging the Christian community with patience and poise, he is bridging a cultural gap between homosexuals and the Church. 



If you know me, you know I don’t buy a “You’re cool, I’m cool, We’re all cool” kind of theology, but the key point of Justin’s message here is that you don’t have to equivocate or water down your doctrine to open dialogue, love and minister to people, or just to listen to someone’s story. 

I think sometimes the Church is content to let the gay community be marginalized because it removes some sticky awkwardness.  But Jesus never avoided sticky.  So without converting to Justin’s particular exegetical stance on the subject of homosexual relationships, I think he addresses a big failing in the Church and offers helpful ways to better engage individuals who have been hurt many times over by the Church and by Christians.

Read the interview here.


No comments:

Post a Comment